The The Unemployed Graduates of Calvin's esteemed pre-architecture program

4.29.2007

about that school thing

I figured I'd better write something about the archeworks program I've been apart of. I got into this idea of alternative design after watching the video in architecture theory & crit class about Samuel Mockbee. His Rural Studio looked so cool, I wanted to do it, or something similar. So I started researching all the different alternative design+ social need schools, and that landed me in Chicago at Archeworks.

Anyway, now Archeworks is pretty much done. A little overview of my project: The particular project that I have been working on has changed hugely over the course of the year. Initially it was about how to contact diverse and hard to reach populations during emergency situations in the city. It was a vague project description, so my group essentially had to figure out what the problem was before we could do any sort of solving/designing. We ended up focusing in on a specific neighborhood and working with two community organizations on putting together an event that dealt with neighborhood violence, especially gang violence. The idea was that there are immediate "emergencies" that need to be taken care of before any talk of possible disaster infustructure can even be addressed. So, we both helped with anti-violence stuff for this one neighborhood, and also discussed with a few city officials implementation of community organizations/non-profits as disseminators and actively respected organizations that should have good communication with the city government.

You guys should check out our website! It's www.healingthehood.org

I designed the official posters... "poster" button on the "learn about the event" side of the website. They also double as stencils, which I am trying to upload an image, but it's not working right now...hmmm. okay, technical difficulties...more later...!

4 Comments:

  • Anyone know Zoe's email??

    There's a chance I might be trying to work for a year in Chicago and I wanted to ask her more about the "Archeworks" school...

    By Blogger matt vander ploeg, at 6/25/2007 2:30 PM  

  • yes! i know zoe's email
    its: zoeperk@gmail.com

    By Blogger zoeP, at 2/04/2008 5:16 PM  

  • Amazing! I'm genuinely enjoying the design օf ƴour weblog.
    Are you սsing a custom made template օr iѕ this reaԀily aѵailable tߋ all users?
    Ιf yoս really don't want to sаy the name of it out iin the public, please
    e-mail me at: anglea_magoffin@gmail.сom. I'd reallƴ enjoy to ǥet my hands on this theme!
    Ƭhanks.

    Hеre is my web ƿage ... Hay Day Hack Tool

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/17/2014 5:19 PM  

  • Pretty! This has been an extremely wonderful article.
    Thank you for providing these details.

    Feel free to visit my web page :: professional website development company

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/06/2014 9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home